42 pounds in 4 months

Friday, November 5, 2010

My journey for losing 42 pounds has been easy so far. I’ve completely changed my eating habits around.  But my first step to losing weight wasn’t from food, it came from soda. I was a coca cola junkie and I really don’t know where it came from. i always did everything in moderation, soda, fast food and sweets. But for some reason I really stopped caring and did whatever I wanted to do. Before you know it, not paying attention to what I was eating lead me to gain 50 pounds within a short period of time.  

Soda was my biggest problem. I would drink up to 3 20oz sodas a day, and then what ever I drank at a restaurant.  i would feel sick to my stomach if I drank to much coke, and I would feel sick to my stomach if I didn’t have a coke. I realized I had a problem when my mom would point it out.  I got on the scale to see how much I weighed, and it was waaaay to much. I freaked out. I don’t know how it got this bad.
Okay first step was to cut soda out. Oddly enough I had withdrawal symptoms. My head hurt so bad, I had violent stomach pains, and mood swings.  From the time I cut soda out to now, all I drink is water and from time to time coconut juice.  I lost 7 pounds just cutting soda out, within 2 weeks.

Second step was cutting out sugar, fast food, and other junk food. Again, I had a hard time cutting fast food out because it was just so addictive. After a week of not consuming fast food I started to feel a lot better and my complexion started to clear up. Giving up sugar had given me energy that I never had before. Again,  giving up sugar gave me bad withdrawal symptoms. Lost another 5 pounds giving junk food up.

Third step my husband convinced me to go gluten free. He had researched that gluten intolerance is linked to PCOS.   Going gluten free has helped me out with my most of my PCOS symptoms, cleared my complexion up even more, gave me more energy, and most of my digestive problems have gone away.  The gluten free substitutes can sometimes be expansive, so learning to live without bread was the route I had to go. However, Jason’s Deli has really awesome gluten free bread that is amazing! Whenever I get the chance I always get a turkey sandwich with hummus.  Going gluten free helped me lose another 5 pounds.  (for information on what gluten intolerance is, check out this website)

Fourth step was running everyday on my treadmill.  Giving up all this crazy junk food and going gluten free has given me all this energy and it was a lot easier to start working out this time.  The rest of my weight came off from exercise.  My legs are more toned than they used to be, and my confidence has gone up. Shopping for pants is a lot easier, and fun. 

I am working on step number five. It’s weight lifting. So far it has been an awesome experience, I just need more weights to continue going. I can already tell I have lost some fat in my upper arms and back, and have already gained some muscle weight. Muscle weight isn’t bad, but it’s kept me at the same weight for about 2 weeks now. Not a big deal for me, I like the idea of getting super toned. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this inspired me to get up and do something! keep up the good work!!

Jillian said...

what is PCOS?

Myrahhh said...

Jillian - PCOS is polycystic ovarian syndrome. here is a link that explains it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome/DS00423

Heather Stover said...

I'm so happy for you.

I think approaching weight loss gradually - eliminating one thing at a time or picking up one activity at a time - is key. I can't count the number of times I've tried to do everything from the start - eat all the right things, exercise daily - and gotten overwhelmed and given up within the first week.

Myrahhh said...

@heather - i was the same way too. i never realized that food can be so addictive. when i cut them out i started craving them even more and then i would give up on my diet. naturally i am not a very exercise friendly person either. in school i would always skip gym class.

but since i changed my "lifestyle" around i feel better eating healthy, and i no longer crave the bad stuff. it took me awhile to get to this point, but the baby steps totally helped me. i am still a little lazy on my work outs, but i still manage to get some work out in. lol.